The pace of life is starting to reset back to normal these days and despite 3 weeks off in February and early March, I jumped back in with laser focus on improving my technique, and a new strength training program. I know I've gotten significantly better, faster and more confident in my abilities in the water. Coach Jonas has also been making us race and sprint in the pool, so I have had some good practice starting from the block and even doing a few relays. I have also started working with Coach Kelly and we've made some major strides in improving my breast stroke. So it's time to race...
A week from today, Sunday - April 21st will be my first meet at Flushing Queens - swimming the NYC Parks Masters and Annual Commissioner's Trophy Relay. I'm swimming in 3 events - 50 Free, 100 IM and 50 Breast stroke. Most of the team will be in Virginia competing in the Colonies Zones. I wish I was going, but my dad and step-mum are visiting from Australia the same weekend, and the meet in Queens was more feasible for the time being. There are a few AGUA Masters that will be there and I'm really excited for this meet.
The 50-free is not an issue, I just need to make a strong turn off the wall.
The 50-breast I think will be fine as long as I swim a complete stroke and make sure I snap and glide. Glide is really what I need to do.
The event I'm most concerned about is still the IM... It really is the most challenging event to swim - competency in all four strokes and trying to be smart and take advantage of all the turns and transitions. Jumping off the block to start butterfly is not an issue. The transition from fly to back has gotten better but I still get water up my nose, so I tend to come up the surface too soon. One of my coaches told me to hum during this turn to keep the water out of my nose, so I'll keep practicing and trying that technique. Back to breast stroke is okay - I'm doing a basic transition for now, and hope that Coach Kelly can help teach me the more advanced start but I have enough to think about during the breast stroke itself. The final breast to free is fine - and I just need to push myself all the way to the end and let it all out to the finish!
Allergies have been clogging my sinuses lately, and I only hope that I will be in great health this week to train hard, and be in good shape by Sunday. Last Friday, I jumped in the pool and was still affected by allergies and was running 5-6 seconds behind in my times. But I was really struggling with breathing and recovery, and know that at my best I don't struggle so much, just the usual burning pain from sprinting.
I saw this poster from Speedo Pace Club - maybe it's just something to ponder during those last few strokes... Keep you all posted on how it all goes...

No comments:
Post a Comment