Pages

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Power of Sleep and The Promise of Tomorrow

I've been suffering from bronchitis for two and a half weeks now, which means that I actually missed my first swim meet and have been out of the pool for that long! On top of all this, I have been going through a career transition, and a dissolution of my marriage, which has left me feeling quite sad, brittle and ancient. I'm sure the personal stress has contributed to the bronchitis and the length it has taken to fully recover from it - partly due to the fact that I have a had a lot of restless nights. 

I always say "Things happen for a reason" and "God never gives you any thing you can't handle." At times like these, you just hold on to your faith and know there is a plan, and everything will be okay - because things somehow always work themselves out. 

It has been a stressful transitional two weeks, as he was leaving... When he finally left my space was a disaster and all I wanted was to reclaim my space and manage the chaos. It took me 2 and a half days of non-stop cleaning, purging and thoroughly scrubbing my place. I was throwing things out left and right, and one of the first things I did was completely change all my bedding! It was an investment in my sanity - I wanted to make sure I did not have anything that reminded me of him, especially in my place of rest!  I was still suffering from the bronchitis but I couldn't shake feeling unsettled and I also knew cleaning my space would mean, better air and environment to heal.
 
I finally took a "day off" yesterday - a break from the job search, from life and gave my body a chance to simply REST - sleep. In fact, that's what my body was looking for SLEEP.  Around 4:00 PM I woke up from another long nap and noticed that I was actually feeling much better - the best in two and a half weeks. The power of sleep truly is healing and rejuvenation and we all need it, in the best and worse circumstances in our lives. Some days we just need to simply unplug from it all and give ourselves a chance to just be. One day off can truly make a difference.

Today, I have renewed energy. I feel a little more like myself, ready to face the challenges of the job search and truly excited to ease my way back into the pool. I miss the feel of the water!

The passing of time helps with healing. The promise of tomorrow is simply that  "Every day holds the possibility of a miracle." (quote from Elizabeth David)

No comments:

Post a Comment