![]() |
| Laduree Macarons and Dammann Freres Tea - Nuit a Versailles |
There are certain places in the world that just resonate with us - not just the environment but the food and culture. Should it be any surprise with a very French last name and one invoking royal status - that France, particularly Versailles would be the place that resonates with me the most? I've always been fascinated by Marie Antoinette's life - not just because Mozart asked her to marry him when he was 5 years old performing for the Austrian Monarchs, but; her dedication to the arts, her husband and children, and her impeccable sense of style and taste. Her courage and faith were truly inspiring, especially with the challenges she had faced towards the last moments of her life. At the end of it all, she remained a loyal monarch to France. There are many stories or cliche's that rumored her to be a monarch who didn't care about the people, but in close examination of history - the over spending had much to do with politics and politicians that framed the Queen and her husband. After all, they had to point the finger at someone - why not the Austrian?
I went to France for the first time last September, and I decreed to my Mom and sister that they had no choice but to go to Versailles. As soon as we got to the Palace, the place seemed strangely familiar to me, as if I had been there before... I was navigating through the hallways and back stair cases like a pro... We had lunch at Angelina's, which is located in the part of the palace that would have been the nursery and enjoyed traditional French fare overlooking the courtyard and french macarons. These were Angelina macarons, decent, but they were not Laduree' but it seemed only fit to be having this delicate meal at the palace!
Since the Trianon properties have been recently renovated, we took the tram to the properties. Le Petit Trianon is a chateau on the palace grounds at Versailles, and was given as a gift to Marie Antoinette by her husband the King. Petit Trianon became her sanctuary from the rigorous formalities of court life at the Palace - no one was allowed entrance, unless you were expressly invited by the Queen. Just behind Petit Trianon is Marie Antoinette's estate, which consist of the Hamlet houses, the Queen's theater, farms and various gardens that Marie Antoinette had built for her personal pleasure and privacy. They almost reminded me of play houses or club houses we built as kids, but these were built for a queen - real functioning homes, with their own unique gardens! My sister and I ran through Marie Antoinette's estate just like two little girls fascinated by what we saw at every corner. Once again, I was walking around the property with such familiarity, even my sister commented "How do you know where to go?" or "How did you know this was here?" I have no idea, but we concluded that perhaps I was a courtesan, or a Duchess at a past life... Who knows maybe Marie Antoinette herself! (LOL)
I love Versailles and could have easily let time pass laying around the gardens with a good book, some classical music in my ipod and a perfect picnic basket of french cheeses, cold cuts, a crusty baguette and an assortment of Laduree macarons and tea.
Since I can't be at Versailles - there are two distinct food combinations that get me back there, particularly on a snowy day in NYC. Since I'm a marketing person I have to be brand specific here and mention two brands - Laduree' & Dammann Freres. These two brands have a long royal history and are just the finest quality of artistry in food definitely fit for a royal palette!
Dammann Freres - In 1692, King Louis XIV granted the exclusive privilege sale of tea to Mr. Damane in France and thus creating the Dammann Freres Company to establish counters all over the world in search of the best teas.
Laduree' - Founded in 1862, a good 60 years after Marie Antoinette's death, but would no doubt have been the Queen's favorite had she been alive. Laduree' changed the world of French pastries when Pierre Desfontaines, second cousin of Louis Ernest Laduree', thought of taking two macaron shells and joining them with a delicious ganache filling - thus creating the macaron! (GENIUS!)
So today I am grateful for the luxurious French delicacies I was able to enjoy. I opened my assorted box of Laduree' macarons, a gift from a friend, and brewed a nice pot of Dammann Freres tea, appropriately picking the Nuit a Versailles blend, which is China green tea with flower petals, bergamot, kiwi, peach, orange blossoms and violet flowers. The aroma of the tea reminds me of Petit Trianon and Marie Antoinette's Estate, and the macarons take me back to a lovely day at the Palace of Versailles with my family, the memories of a rich period in history, the outpouring of creative genius that is worth remembering and the lives that lived worth celebrating. A' votre sante'!
![]() |
| Roaming around the Palace of Versailles |



Haha thanks for the mention!
ReplyDeleteLove the photos... makes me wish I was older when when we went to France! Not that I regret it, as I wouldn't exchange any traveling experience with my family for the world, but I was 8!!!
I do remember Versailles' grandeur, but not much of the history so I loved reading this. Oh, and I remember our picnics too - similar stuff, the baguette, cheeses...