Pages

Saturday, March 16, 2013

Movin' On Up...

"Without continual growth and progress, such words as improvement, achievement, and success have no meaning" - Benjamin Franklin

Feeling like a Girl On Fire at the pool today... 
Being out of the pool for nearly 3 weeks, I truly was worried about the challenge of trying to get back into the shape I was in before I got sick. Surprisingly, having been out of the pool for nearly 3 weeks and coming back in has not been as challenging as I thought it was going to be. I remember one of my coaches telling me, that being sick is the body's way of saying you need rest and sometimes you just need to give your body what it needs - REST! 

Today was one of those milestone practice sessions that puts a smile on my face and an extra spring in my stroke! Saturday morning practice is always Long Course Meters (meaning full Olympic Pool Length at 50 Meters!) and a two hour swim. Coach Jonas always gives us a nice mix of drills, stroke and nice LONG sets. I usually swim in the slower, beginner lane because the 50 meter length combined with the two hour swim, truly tested my endurance and stamina and I always looked for the longer rest periods. In the past few months, by the time I get to Saturday I'm in such a sore state from the week's workouts and swims, but I always keep trucking along and coming back to the pool just wanting to be better.

I have to say my coaches have been pushing me at every practice, and I've been pushing myself pretty hard - taking everything they give me with a smile. Today my usual lane was full, so I decided to try swimming the next lane over - which is usually faster, figuring I will just swim at the tail end. I have no idea what happened today but I found myself the only girl in the lane, and at certain sets and drills leading the lane - particularly the IM (Individual Medley - all four strokes) and kicking. The interval in this lane is usually quite challenging for me, and I either just make it and not have any rests in between. But I surprisingly had at least 10 seconds rest, and during the kicking a nice 20-30 seconds. I just kept going and continued to push myself, and surprisingly felt so comfortable in the water. 

As I was about to get out of the pool, Coach Jonas told me "Christine, I see you're moving on up in the world" and we exchanged a big smile. On days like today when the progress and growth is noticeable, you really can't help but smile and be grateful to be surrounded by coaches and team members who support you, your goals and help you achieve them. 

Definitely feeling on fire and can't believe how far I've come in just three months!!! To the hardest working head coach I know, THANK YOU for always pushing me to be better! Keep it coming...


2 comments:

  1. I love what your coach said to you! We need more people like that in the world...

    ReplyDelete