Pages

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Reunited and It Feels So Good...


I finally made it back in the pool today after a two and half-week hiatus due to bronchitis. I told myself I was going to ease my way in... But as soon as I dove into the water it just felt so good to be back. I was so happy and was moving through the water with such ease, I could feel each stroke and simply felt at home in the pool. Honestly, I can't fully describe the happiness I felt just being in the pool today!

The main set today was four sets of 8 x 50 in descending intervals... I can't believe how easily I worked through the sets, and just how much rest time I had. I even led the lane today! It was a great day to be in the water... The feel of the water was perfect, the clarity couldn't have been any better and I was moving easily, freely and happily. 

Just for good measure I swam 1 x 100 IM just to test out my other strokes. That felt incredibly easy and relaxed - particularly the butterfly and breast stroke. I even executed this "test" IM set in 1:50 - literally 30 seconds less than the last time I clocked the 100 IM and I wasn't even trying to move fast!!! 

I love days like this in the pool - where everything just feels so easy and I just seem to be "on."
I was literally worried that two and a half weeks off, would set me back pretty far! It's amazing how rest and muscle memory just take you where you need to be.
 
My team mates, lifeguard buddies and coaches on the pool deck were all very happy to see me, and have been so supportive while I was sick, and through out the personal hardships I have been experiencing lately. Joining the Masters team has truly been a blessing in my life - what a wonderful community of people! 

Since it is Wednesday, and I was feeling particularly energized, I decided to end with some weight training. I ran into one of my trainer buddies, Ralphy, who I always share some great laughs with. It was a quiet afternoon at the gym and Ralphy had some time to tweak my weight training program - he was noticing my shoulders hunching forward (apparently a common swimmer thing) and prescribed more rows and dead lifts to even out my posture and strengthen those areas. 

Overall, I left the gym feeling energized and just happy to be getting back in the normal swing of things. I can't wait to dive-in again tomorrow... I'm SO BACK!

 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment