Pages

Friday, February 15, 2013

Valentine's Day Edition

I've been so focused on this upcoming meet, especially since I had two more weeks to prepare. I'm not a big fan of Valentine's Day - to me it is just another day, and one very commercialized holiday. So V-day was business as usual and instead of falling pray to the sweets and treats, I decided to go to the gym and the pool. Nothing says I love you than doing some thing you love that honors your body, mind and spirit!

I started with my dry land work out - combination of kettle bells, dumb bells and lots of floor core work. Then I geared up for the 90 minute masters practice.  Practice was quiet, lots of folks were out celebrating V-day, so we all had our own lanes, which was a treat. Coach Jamie was running practice, and as I've written before she's TOUGH! The menu at tonight's practice: 
  • 16 x 25 Sprints on :35
    • #1 half easy & half fast
    • #2  half fast & half easy
    • #3 all fast
    • #4 easy 
  • Main Set - Repeated 4 times
  • 14 x 25 Sprints on:30  
    • 1 fast then 1 easy
    • 2 fast then 1 easy
    • 3 fast then 1 easy
    • 4 fast then 1 easy  
  •  5 vertical kicks - :40 seconds on :20 rest
    • Odds hands on head, even hands on water 
The set seems easy enough written down but in execution those vertical kicks really do work your core and your legs. Of course, I could've done this all freestyle but I am so conscious about the meet and the fact that I am swimming the IM, so I did try as many of the other strokes as I can - really pushing to get through with those strokes in under 30 seconds! I made it with fly and back stroke, but I really need to work on that breast stroke kick! 

After a long cool down, I got out of the pool and definitely had spaghetti legs, and could feel my core on fire. Coach Jamie does it again for sure! I barely made it home (the whole two block walk) and downed a high protein shake and collapsed in bed - pretty much slept hard!
  
I am still sore this morning but know I need to push through today's practice... That's the thing, you need to keep moving, especially when you feel sore - that's the lactic acid talking and you need to flush it out! This extra week went by so fast, and the nerves for the upcoming meet is starting to come back. Will sure to keep you posted... 


No comments:

Post a Comment