Pages

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Some Days Your Body Just Says NO!


I know I've been talking about this swim meet for a month now - so excited and anxious in training and preparing for the meet; the disappointment and relief when it was rescheduled because of the blizzard; and now I can't compete tomorrow because I'm suffering from severe bronchial-asthma. No doubt I'm mentally prepared for this meet and have been truly looking forward to it, but some days your body just says NO!

Given the combination of heavy hitting drugs I've been on this week - steroids, antibiotics and even some codeine, I was pretty sure by the time Sunday rolled around I would be fine. But my body is saying NO, and I am sure that this is the body's intrinsic response to the various levels of personal stress, and major life changes I am currently going through. As much as I can handle high-stress, multiple deadline environments and thrive in them in a professional environment, when my home front is not stable - sleep deprivation and a poor diet tend to kick-in, and my body has the final word! 

I was really excited to be able to have this experience with my team mates who have all been extremely supportive in my swimming journey - all giving me words of wisdom from their experience - from diving-in, perfecting my strokes, turns and transitions, how to taper, what to pack and simply what to expect. I even did my visualization exercises - where I run through the swims in my head, prepare myself for the inevitable - goggles filling with water, slapping the water instead of diving-in, counting strokes - everything! I was mentally and physically prepared and super excited! I had my personal goals that I wanted to achieve and was ready to do this...

So I'm sad because I would love to just be there to support and cheer for my team mates, but I don't want to risk getting anyone sick, and I really should be in bed recovering. Plus the cocktail of drugs I am on doesn't make me a responsible driver on the road, let alone a good swimmer in the water!

So to my amazing team mates at AGUA Masters - have a fantastic meet! I can't wait to hear results and stories; and know I am cheering all of you on tomorrow! SWIM FAST & REPRESENT!    





No comments:

Post a Comment