Pages

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Mystic and V


I've been quite delinquent writing on the blog, as I did go out of town with my awesome best friend V, and came back suffering from bronchial-asthma... NOT FUN! Now that I'm actually breathing normally, I'm excited to recount the amazing adventures we had at Mystic, Connecticut. 

It was President's Day weekend, so we decided to head out of town and get out of the city. We went to Mystic, CT last year to explore the casinos, and fell in love with the quaint little town and it's offerings. Most people go to the Mystic Seaport around the summer time, but the winter cold proves there are things still to enjoy. 

I should back-up a bit and talk about V, simply because she is quite a remarkable person and our friendship story is quite hilarious. V's aunt is my famed singing teacher/mentor/mother, Evelyn, who I have known since I was 16!  V and I were introduced 2 years ago, and originally we were told by Sanjoy, Evelyn's husband, that we wouldn't be friends, since apparently V was "too bitchy." V and I always met in weird, weirder and crazier circumstances. In fact, even the first time we hung out to get Filipino food at Queens - turned out to be karaoke night at the restaurant and we were dying of laughter. But V and I just mesh quite easily, and in fact, people always mistake us for sisters, or cousins... We're not related by blood, but we sure are family in NYC!


So off to Mystic, CT... 

Our first stop was this amazing find we found last year called Kitchen Little for some breakfast. My plan was to leave NYC early just to make it here, since I've been dreaming of the Portuguese chorizo since we were there last year! V does food blogging better, so here's a link to her blog describing our meal: Kitchen [Not So] Little


Next stop, the Mystic Aquarium...  Of course, on my day off from the pool, I can't resist but hang out with the fish folk, and stay as close to the water as possible! V and I made some awesome friends - particularly loved the sharks, sea lions and the beluga wales! I was mesmerized at how they move in the water - picked up a few tips on diving-in from the sea lions too... Sebastian (from Little Mermaid) is right -"While we devotin' full time to floatin... Life Under the sea is sweeter."

V and I outside Mystic Pizza sign in 2012 and 2013
You can't go to Mystic, CT and skip out on Mystic Pizza. Yes,this is the same Mystic Pizza where the 1988 Julia Roberts Film was based on .Technically V and I skipped it last year, we were so full, but we did take our picture outside the sign. Since we had more time this year, we decided Mystic Pizza should be on the dining list.  The restaurant was packed with pictures and film memorabilia, in fact the televisions were streaming the movie, as well. V and I were excited, but as we took one bite we both looked at each other and knew the pizza tasted exactly like a super supreme pizza from Pizza Hut. One of my good friends Jeff, who spent some time in Connecticut College near Mystic, told me how much he loves their pizza and would like to think that Pizza Hut got their inspiration from Mystic... Well, Pizza Hut was founded in 1958 at Wichita, Kansas and Mystic opened in 1973... Sadly, that theory doesn't hold, but I will say that the Mystic version is a fresher, non-processed version and since I love the super supreme, I actually liked it! Here's V's review and pictures at Mystic Pizza

A quick check-in to the hotel, before we went to the casinos. This time we decided to stay at Fox Woods. We had a great time but no winnings for either one of us. Usually, we're quite lucky when we go the casino, but this time not so much... I think we tend to win more at Atlantic City... 

The next day we stopped by the outlets on the way back to the city and had some fun. V has a better documenatary of our outlet mall shenaningans, that includes awesome pictures of me trying on fascinators and various headbands at Claire's - so check out her blog... Outlet Mall Shenanigans

We had a great trip, and a much needed escape from the city. Unfortunately, I came back with a bit of asthma and a cold, that turned quickly into bronchial asthma. On that note, V and I plan a trip some time in the Spring/Summer back to Mystic. It would be nice to play in the water and go on a boat ride instead of dying from the strong winds, and mounds of snow.   



No comments:

Post a Comment