"You can't put a limit on anything. The more you dream the further you get." - Michael Phelps
Monday, February 11, 2013
The Dreaded Starting Block
Thanks to Blizzard Nemo - the swim meet has been postponed to Feb 24, which means I have another two weeks to prepare and keep myself conditioned.
I came to practice today and afterwards I decided to practice my starts... To be honest, diving off the starting block left me quite terrified last Friday - too many belly flops, goggle mishaps, I simply was not confident in my ability to dive from the block. In fact, had the meet started on Sunday I would've opted to dive from the side of the pool, which is legal in masters swimming for the meet, and the rate of my comfort level this weekend given my crash course last Friday.
So tonight, I decided to go back and practice diving in! My lifeguard buddies were at the pool and all of them gathered around to help me, partly because they were getting quite soaked in the sidelines... But at the heart of it, they were determined as I to get my dive right! I have to say I've made quite good friends with the lifeguards and they always look after me in the pool, and I do throw them pizza parties once in a while. It pays to be nice to EVERYONE! Leo, who is swimming at the meet with me, demonstrated his dive to help me understand the concept of what I was trying to achieve. As I dove in and out the pool from the side, I had a group of my lifeguard buddies giving me tips to help - good news, I was consistently getting better with each dive. Then at some point it just clicked, and we all roared quite wildly and even loved the idea that the next two dives were consistently better!
Now it was time to start off the block... I've experienced enough belly flops, often getting out of the pool red as a lobster from the impact of the water... After one too many bad experiences last Friday, I really feared the block! Somehow being that high up made the water look intimidating. But the guys were saying - diving is supposed to be the fun part and remember it's just water... You'll be fine.. . One deep breath, head tucked down, arms over my ears in a tight sreamline position, a nice little jump off the block and in I went... No pain, no goggle mishaps - I did it! Then I did it over and over and over and over - consistently getting better and truly gliding and cutting through the water, about mid-way through the pool. Furthermore I was having fun, and conquering my fear of the "dreaded block" and truly improving my dives! I also had an amazing cheering squad and group of instructors... I guess it's time for another pizza party at the pool!
My final dives reminded me of how fearless I was when I was a kid... I remember diving in and out of pools then - ALL IN with no fear, hesitation, and just enjoying the thrill of it all. I even remember diving from diving boards, cliffs and various perches my friends dared me to dive from... It never ceases to amaze me that this swimming journey teaches me about my old self, and forces my mind to go back to that time in my life when I was ADVENTUROUS and FEARLESS, and apply that to the present.
I am so happy the dives are much better. I'll be working on these all week for sure - determined to get them perfect.... Now about those open turns from fly to back and breast to free... I guess that's what I'm working on tomorrow...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment