Okay folks, here's today's countdown to the V-Day meet report...
I met with Coach Jamie for another hour - working on the open turns and IM transitions...
I'm really struggling with the butterfly to backstroke transition! Cutting that deep in the water and doing dolphin kicks on my back is a bit new to me - hence the fact that I practically swallowed half the pool through my nose! But practice makes perfect and there are some bad habits I need to break when I hit the wall. Mainly I need to get it in my head that I will not run out of air!
Backstroke to breast stroke seems to be a lot better - just need to remember to count my strokes and get a feel for what those strokes are like in the pool. Some days the strokes are longer and I make it in 4, today it was shorter so I needed 7 from flag to wall. In the interest of trying to minimize any possibility of disqualifaction - we're going to ditch the breast stroke pull out for just staying in streamline and starting the stroke.
Breast stroke to freestyle is a little better - just needs more consistency...
Flip turns are fine...
As of yesterday, I didn't know how to dive off the block and that was something I needed to work on today. We saved this for the last 10 minutes of the session... Standing on the block was actually quite nerve wrecking at the start - it's really high and the pool looks scary, rather than inviting. Well a few belly flops don't help take the fear out either... Once I got the idea of keeping my head down I was fine, but now I needed to work on my legs pushing off and going into streamline.
I had 30 minutes before practice so I decided to keep working on the diving. There were a few instructors and my life guard buddies around the pool, who were seeing me do this over and over and over! They probably though this girl is splashing way too much...What I love about the pool at Asphalt Green and Masters is that everyone is always willing to help you be your best, especially when they know you are trying. When Jamie left I found myself with my new group of ad hoc instructors helping me find a dive from the block that was comfortable and efficient. I must say I feel a lot more comfortable and the block is not looking so scary!
The hour practice today was focused on IM, particularly transitions and pushing off the wall, which was perfect for me to continue to work on my turns, build my endurance and perfect my strokes. I felt incredibly comfortable in the water and I can't believe that I did all the sets in the prescribed interval and I didn't feel like dying! I've really come along way since I joined Masters.
After practice, I went back to trying to dive off the block. My team mate and buddy, Dave, is working to fulfill his dream of swimming in a national level and he's been training hard and he swims REALLY fast! I have full confidence in him reaching his dreams of Olympic proportion!
Dave decided he was going to dive off the block with me, and I just loved watching him - he's amazing. What I love again is that he spent some time helping me with my dive. I must add that Dave has been incredibly supportive of my road to compete in this local masters meet, and has given me so much insight as to how to train, when and how to taper, down to making sure I have what I need for the meet. I'm so glad he's got my back, since I'm absolutely clueless.
Dave left and I stayed for a few more dives. I saw Jonas, our head coach, watching me. About 5-10 minutes into my agony, he came up to me and said that the meet was postponed until February 24, due to the weather! Yes, blizzard Nemo seems to have arrived as scheduled. Jonas actually knew the meet was postponed before practice, but he waited until later to tell me, not wanting to break my momentum and focus.
Part
of me is a bit disappointed that the meet is postponed - I was mentally ready and reconciled! On the other hand, I can really use another two weeks to work on these starts and turns. Of course, I'll keep you all posted on my progress as the meet comes closer. Meanwhile, if you're in the eastern seaboard of the USA - stay warm and safe as the blizzard passes through. It's time for bed, since according to Jonas 6 AM practice is still happening, and I have another two weeks to focus on regularly scheduled training.

No comments:
Post a Comment