Pages

Wednesday, February 19, 2014

2014 V-DAY Swim Meet

Coach Jonathan and I in our TYR Sponsored Gear
I've been such a delinquent with the blog... Well, it's been really busy on and off the pool... 

Almost two weekends ago was the first swim meet of 2014 at Long Island University CW Post. I entered in 4 individual events (50 - Fly, Back, Breast and 100 IM) and a 200 Free Relay. 

I was particularly nervous about this meet because I felt that I did not get a chance to properly taper and rest. Since being laid off from the marketing world, I've spent the past 3 months working at the pool as a swim instructor for the swim school, giving private lessons and as a coach of one of the top private schools in the UES, which has meant 6-8 hour days in the water or on deck, plus an additional 1 1/2 - 2 hours of practice on top of that. I've definitely felt the physical demands of the job and the training and feel like I've been in a perpetual state of sore. I usually taper the day before the meet - meaning I spend an entire day at home, preferably in bed - sleeping, eating and watching movies  - a day dedicated to doing nothing and resting. This time I was at the pool for 8 hours - teaching in and out of the pool. By the time I got home, I put myself in a "12-hour taper" - dinner and sleep! 


My nerves had more to do with the pressure I had for myself in attaining my goals this year. It may sound ambitious, but last year every meet I swam meant achieving a new personal best. Naturally, I am expecting to do the same this year, as I continue to become a better swimmer. My goals are aggressive and I am fully dedicated to achieving them, which is why I train hard and commit to the time at the pool. 

Anyone who knows me well can vouch for the fact that I AM NOT A MORNING PERSON! In the rare occasion that I do make it to morning practice, my coaches and team mates know not to speak to me until after I have done a few warm-up/wake-up laps. Most swim meets are held early in the morning, usually with a 8:00 AM warm-up and 9:00 AM start. It's brutal waking up my mind and body during these meets, but somehow I've managed to do it and swim well. 

I had a great warm-up session and felt great jumping off the blocks. I was "in the zone" and ready to swim the meet! The relay was the first event, and I love the thrill and excitement of being on a relay team - I swim my best splits during relays! Our team didn't win the relay, but the other AGUA team dominated. 

Immediately after the relay was my first event - the 50 Fly. My Coach and I have labeled my fly stroke the "emo" stroke - somehow it feels and looks good when I'm going through extreme emotions. I work really hard in drilling and focusing on perfecting my technique with the fly that it doesn't seem to be as painful. I guess I've also built up my overall endurance and have to say I do love swimming Fly, although it still makes me nervous every time I jump off the blocks. Results: Personal Best and 2nd Place. 

As I was swimming down in the very crowded warm-down lane, a swimmer accidentally kicked me in the head. Unfortunately the hit was pretty hard and when I resurfaced my head was throbbing and I felt dizzy. 100 IM was the next event and it was happening in 15 minutes. I sat on the side with an ice bag, 5 minutes into the 100 IM, and decided I was going to try. 


Icing the head injury... 
It wasn't the ideal situation, and probably not the best idea I ever had. But I swam the 100 IM, and all I could remember was wanting to just get out of the pool and rip my cap and goggles off, because of the pressure on my head. I came in 3rd place and still managed to swim a personal best, which truly surprised me. But at this point, I knew I needed to sit with the ice pack and assess the trauma to my head. 

Fortunately, I had another 30-45 minutes before my last two events - 50 Breast and 50 Back. So I took an ibuprofen and nursed my head with ice from the sidelines. By the time the 50 Breast events came up, I didn't really warm-up, and decided let me just jump off the blocks and see what happens. Another 2nd place finish and personal best. I really was on a roll.

By the time the 50 Back event came, I decided this is it - leave it all in the pool, there is recovery in the next few days/weeks ahead. Another 2nd place finish and personal best. 

I did get the head checked out. Of course, the medical professionals, did tell me that I should've stopped swimming. They're treating the injury with extreme caution, thinking that it is possible that I may have had a concussion. Three days after the meet my head was still hurting, and when I finally got cleared to return to the pool - no sprints, just nice smooth swims. Two weeks out - I am starting to slowly sprint again...

It truly is amazing what you can achieve when you tell your mind to push. I'm very proud of my performance for the first meet of the year, 3 x 2nd place and 1 x 3rd place and all personal bests was all I wanted. I am truly excited at the possibilities for this season. I am a much better swimmer for sure - stronger, faster and technically better! 









No comments:

Post a Comment