Pages

Monday, May 20, 2013

Dinner with an Olympian - Dr. Jane Katz

One of my team mates is a phenomenal woman named Jane Katz. I met Jane my first week in the pool when I was struggling to get through the swim workouts! I was SLOW and nowhere the swimmer I am today! At the NYC Commissioner's meet last April, Jane was there and was a wonderful cheerleader for me during my first meet. I had the pleasure of counting laps and cheering her on to win first place at the 500 yard freestyle event! 

I was told that Jane is a very well respected person in the swimming community and I didn't really know much else about her or why. Well tonight, I dropped by the pool  during evening practice to say "hello" to some of my team mates, I already swam earlier and just completed my dry land workout. Jane was in the pool and invited me to go out for drinks and dinner with her, as a thank you for counting laps at the meet -  I was game! Here's what I learned about Jane over an amazing and healthy meal of salads at a Mexican restaurant... 

Her father nearly drowned at 13, and insisted that all his children learned about water safety at an early age. I don't think he even expected that his daughter would have a life-long love affair with the water and the world of swimming, and that she would actually be one of the key people who would help change the sport of swimming, particularly in synchronized swimming. In 1964, Jane was a member of the US Synchronized Swimming Performance Team in Tokyo, and was one of the people who helped pioneer the acceptance of Synchronized Swimming as an Olympic event. As a US Masters competitive swimmer in long-distance events, synchronized and fin swimmer she has earned All-American and World Masters championships and records. 
That aside, she has dedicated her life to teaching swimming and has taught thousands of students including the New York City police officers and fire fighters. The list of awards she has received for her teaching and countless dedication to improving and promoting the sport of swimming are countless and span international territory. She's also an author and inspirational speaker - truly a great role model and career woman of achievement! 

I learned we had many things in common: she also graduated from college at 20 years old, she has been through the heart ache and loss of significant relationship, and battled through adversity. We both find inspiration in the water. We talked about the changes in my life the past few months, my newly found love for the water and Asphalt Green, and my goals as a swimmer and professional career. It was just great to talk to someone who has been in my shoes before and who truly understands the journey I am on. 

I've said it before and I say it over and over again - every one and every thing in your life happens for a reason. There is no doubt that meeting Jane was no accident, and I am so grateful for tonight - for inspiration, encouragement and making a new friend! 

More information about Dr. Jane Katz: http://www.drjanekatz.com/about.html

No comments:

Post a Comment