That was a challenging meet as I was suffering from asthma all week, and as much as I tried to rest and recover, my lungs were not feeling 100% the day of the meet, but I was going to do my best and push myself as best as I can.
Training during the week proved that, although I was suffering from asthma there was a way to still train for the meet without inducing an asthma attack, while still strengthening the lungs, improving lung capacity and controlling breath technique. I got into swimming because of asthma as a child, and as an adult it still proves to be the most valuable prescription to help manage asthma. This was a rare week, as my asthma hasn't really bothered me in a very long time, so I was slightly frustrated to be suffering from it during the week I was preparing for a swim meet. I really had to listen to my body and do what it could - it meant no hard sprinting, more rest and recovery time. The rhythm of breathing and strokes really did help with the asthma, even with demanding power strokes like butterfly. In fact, I felt better every time I left the pool, and felt my lungs stronger as the days went by. By the end of the week, rest is really what my body needed and proved to be the most effective preparation for the meet.
I swam the five races I entered - 50 Butterfly, 50 Freestyle, 50 Backstroke, 100 Freestyle and 100 IM.
The 50 Fly and 50 Backstroke were new events for me. The results: 1st Place in 50 Backstroke and 2nd Place finishes in the 50 Fly, 50 Free, 100 Free and 100 IM. I swam personal bests for all events, except the 50 and 100 Free (about 1-2 seconds off). On top of my personal achievements, my team won the meet too!
I was very proud of my accomplishments at this race - it definitely showed the significant improvement I've had over the past few months, and the hard work I've poured into becoming a better swimmer. This was also my most relaxed meet, I guess I knew what to expect and was a lot calmer in the stands, and thankful the nerves were contained to the blocks!
I was surprised to learn that they were handing out medals at this meet, and was excited to take home my 5 medals! They were the first I had ever won for a swim meet, or for anything athletic related in my entire life. I was also the only one to go home with 5 medals! One of my team mates told me I had to pose like Mark Spitz - so here's the photo from this awesome meet.
Joining US Masters Swimming and the AGUAMasters team has been the best decision I ever made in my life. My masters swimming journey this year has been truly amazing! I never imagined the experiences or achievements that swimming was going to take me, and I'm truly grateful and feel so blessed. Swimming has given me healing, strength, balance, confidence, peace, love and joy - physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. These may not be Olympic Silver and Gold medals, but the story to achieving these is of Olympic proportion to me!
To quote my idol Michael Phelps: "You can't put a limit of anything. The more you dream, the further you get."

No comments:
Post a Comment