No secret I love shoes, especially high heels! I've always been known as the woman always wearing high heels. Moving back to New York City has made me embrace flats and comfortable shoes, but that doesn't mean I have traded style for comfort either. As a typical New Yorker I do pack my heels in my purse, and have mastered the art of switching from flats to heels and vice versa. High heels has never been a problem for me - I look great in them, and somehow I always felt like I had an extra spring in my step when I wear them.
But lately, I hate to admit it, I've been struggling with wearing high heels, because it means tight calves when I hit the pool, and *gasp* painful cramps in the middle of practice. My coaches, teammates, trainers, life guards and everyone I know, have told me over and over again - that these cramps, pain and discomfort in my calves or feet are a result of my heels. I'm told it's like holding a calf raise for an extended period of time. I've ignored them, also because I just did not want to admit that perhaps swimming meant saying good-bye to heels! *double gasp*
But the past few months have been laced with injuries - between my shoulder and my calf. Muscle recovery meant wearing comfortable and supportive flats, which I have diligently been doing. New York City is a walking city, and it makes sense to be wearing flats, since there is no way I can walk the city in heels without killing my feet! So I've been good the past few months, taking the sound advice of my coaches and trainers, giving up the heels and wearing flats, hydrating, stretching and doing everything I can to recover and train without "incident."
Occasionally, I do pack the heels and wear them around the office, and quickly switch to flats. Somehow, to me at least, a suit or particular outfit just doesn't look complete without the heels. Of course, at times when I try to look "cute" I think platform heels just give me that extra edge.
Being back in the pool this week, I got calf cramps on day 2, and I know full well that wearing heels would not help my case, so I haven't been wearing them. I love my trusted L.K. Bennett pumps and can't imagine giving them up completely. Seriously, does swimming this much really mean no heels? There has to be another solution to be able to swim and train as hard as I do, without having to sacrifice my love for fashion and passion for heels.

No comments:
Post a Comment