Pages

Sunday, August 25, 2013

What happened in August?

It seems like I've disappeared from the blog-sphere the month of August - it simply has been a bit busy!

The shoulder injury was healing pretty well until I tried the 1 mile, open water ocean swim at Point Lookout. I was getting hammered by the waves and my shoulder gave out. I had a moment of panic when I realized I couldn't stroke and the waves kept pounding me. I couldn't see anyone or anything and I knew the best thing to do was to lay on my back, float and let the waves take me to shore. I was disappointed that I did not complete the swim, but quite thankful to be back on land, and even more grateful for the controlled environment at the pool. 

The rest of the month was spent once again rehabilitating the shoulder, which meant lots and lots and lots and LOTS of kicking in the pool. I was definitely overloading my legs! 
Last week was the last practice for this season, as the pool is on annual shut-down for the next two weeks for maintenance. My shoulder was much better last week, and I felt like my "normal" self again, but I could tell my I had some re-strengthening to do. 

With this week being the first full week out of the pool, I still found an opportunity to swim with some members of the team on Wednesday, and have been adding a good dose of spinning. dry land training and much needed shoulder strengthening. 

It still seems a little strange to be off the regular routine this week. You get used to seeing your team mates, and being in-synch because of the practice schedule. I must admit I really miss seeing my team mates this week. I have taken the opportunity to visit with friends I don't usually see and am actually not minding the time off from the pool. I guess we all need a break every now and then, but I'm really missing the routine of practice, seeing my team mates and my Thursday nights!

I can't believe how quickly this month has flown-by and how little I have written in the blog.
Promise I'l be back....  








No comments:

Post a Comment