Pages

Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Masterpiece - Le Baiser

My favorite sculptor is Auguste Rodin. Most of his work was highly criticized during his time, as he stepped away from the "traditional" school of sculpture and celebrated the individual character and physicality of the human body. Most people will take a look at a Rodin piece and would think that something may seem odd, harsh or out of place. But the reality is that every angle of the sculpture is perfect. 

My favorite piece is Le Baiser, also known as The Kiss. It was originally a part of the Gates of Hell, but it's just such a beautiful piece.  I first met Le Baiser the summer of 2000, introduced to me by a friend who came into my life for that season but forever left their mark on my life... I visit Le Baiser religiously, and as I see the two lovers suspended in their loving embrace and passionate kiss - I am reminded of the many stories this piece has witnessed in my life - falling in love, the excitement of a new relationship, the longing of missing a loved one and wanting to be loved and find love, and the many devastating heartaches I have been through... Le Baiser, to me, is a true old friend!

I wrote this passage in front of Le Baiser during the summer of 2000. It was partly inspired by a certain someone who came into my life for that season and disappeared, but forever left his mark on my life... Over 10 years has passed, and I can't help but be amazed at how much this passage resonates with me still... 

"Maybe we spend our lives as artists searching for the closest captivation of beauty and perfection; or finding the music that would speak truth to us and capture the essence of our being...

I don't know all the answers but I know you don't find that close perfection every day and even to embrace it for a moment is truly an amazing experience...you're in love...and you can't let go...

Masterpieces take time, patience, sacrifice and effort. Each moment you spend with it is a different experience but it only brings you closer to the truth and the real essence of the piece. After all, we are given a lifetime of discover!"

CA Duque - August 8, 2000

1 comment:

  1. Love that sculpture...

    One of my favorite quotes - "Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." (Picasso)

    ReplyDelete