Pages

Saturday, January 19, 2013

Adventures in Interviewing

Over the years, my approach to job interviews has changed. Looking back to when I was fresh out of college - I walked in more about wanting to impress and hoping that the opportunity would mean that someone would be willing to just give me the break I needed!

After having over 10 years' experience in the work force, and the recent challenges of the last job, my approach to interviewing has changed. I realize that as much as the hiring managers are sizing you up, this is an opportunity for you to do the same. Most people are so focused on the end result - getting the job, they never pause to consider is this company or position the right fit for me? In fact, the way a company conducts themselves during the search is a telltale sign of their culture as well.

Scheduling interviews at the very end of the day - say 6 PM, not a good sign. Actually early AM interviews say 8:30 AM, is quite disconcerting as well. Phone calls from recruiters on major holidays - Christmas, New Year's Eve and even New Year's Day - definitely questionable!

But I've never had an interview experience like this one... This definitely is the most bizarre interview experience I've had - a cross between experiencing the Land of Oz, and getting lost in Wonderland!

For this interview I was replacing the CMO, who was hiring for his replacement. I had many pleasant phone conversations with him and was being set-up to meet directly with the CEO of the company, who would be my boss. I was the outgoing CMO's top candidate and choice for the position. 

When I arrived the outgoing CMO and the CEO's Executive Assistant briefed me about the CEO. They made sure I had read  the CEO's bio, key articles written about him and even gave me advice on how best to approach him and how to present my portfolio during the interview. In fact, they took the portfolio I submitted to my recruiter and edited down specifically which projects they wanted me to talk about and which milestones to highlight while talking to the CEO. Alarms were going off in my head, but I decided to play along... After all, the outgoing CMO kept repeating that I really was his top choice and he wanted to help me get the job. 

I finally was lead to the Conference Room, which was just outside the CEO's office, a solid oak door with a sign that read: 

“No One Gets In To See The Wizard! Not no one, not no how!"

I got the reference from the Wizard of Oz.... I'm used to quirky creative types so I decided to  keep my mind open - perhaps it was meant as "clever sense of humor." Then finally the CEO emerged from the door holding a coffee cup, and wandered into the conference room frantically looking for a coaster, and then going into hysterics because the coasters had apparently been moved and he couldn't find one for his coffee cup. Eventually, he went to the kitchenette just slightly off the conference room, and decided on a paper plate as a substitute for the coaster.  

He finally introduced himself to me, then asked "Hasn't anyone offered you a beverage? Do you need coffee or water or anything?" I politely said "Yes they did, but I'm quite okay." He then answered back, "Well it's not like you could get comfortable with a cup right now as the coasters have all been moved!" All I could think was, I believe I  just entered the land of Oz,  it's definitely not "clever humor" and I'm clearly talking to the Wizard!

The rest of the interview progresses to various shades of bizarre. He had a print out of my "edited portfolio" and my resume, which he began to read. Then he looked up and said "present." So I proceeded to talk about myself, my background and then delve into the edited portfolio in the exact manner I was coached by the outgoing CMO and his Executive Assistant. But the CEO interrupted me at almost every sentence, then he held up his hand, prompting me to stop as he continued to read my resume. He then started firing random questions, with his hand still up, clearly an indication not to speak or answer... His barrage of questions sounded almost like a one-sided interrogation... "Where does it say here that you created... I see produced, executed, managed, responsible for brand strategy but I don't see any marketing creation... Have you ever created a marketing campaign? We're a visual company  - what have you done that is visual? Where are the ads? I need more pictures? I don't see pictures? Where are the commercials?..." This went on for 3-5 minutes without allowing me to answer anything or get one word in... I was pretty much ready to walk out and say "It was nice meeting you and thank you for your time..." but Oz was just the first stop - next stop Wonderland!

He called the CFO of the company and asked him to interview me. The CFO looked over my resume, and asked exactly what position was I being considered for? Then started to try and ask me about the budgets I've managed, how P&L was established for those, and creative ways I executed campaigns with limited or no budget. Oh boy! Meanwhile, Mr. CEO kept rambling away at my client list and how robust those marketing budgets are compared to his, and when he got to a non-profit or smaller client he would mutter under his breath saying - "hand outs, we never get any of those." 

This next act was more like watching Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum. The CEO & CFO 
 were having a conversation about me in what seemed like their own language, once in a while blurting a question - they never intended for me to answer. This went on for another 5-8 minutes! Then finally they looked at each other,  and said "No fit. No fit." Then they looked at me and said "No fit. You can leave. Thanks for coming."  Then they showed me the door.

I went into my car and called the recruiter who I have been working with and shared the bizarre turn of events. The outgoing CMO actually called my recruiter to apologize, and said over and over again "she was my top candidate, I know she's perfect for the job, I just don't know what happened..."  

I clearly dodged a bullet - I'm really looking for less crazy in my work life. Cultural fit is extremely important to me and this particular interview hit that message home hard. I most certainly wish them luck in their search. From my perspective, I know the best is yet to come and there's no place like home!

4 comments:

  1. Interview from the Twilight Zone! So weird.

    Agreed - the best IS yet to come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously crazy!

      BTW - Your blog inspired me to get it done! LOL
      Although, my pictures will never be as pretty as yours!

      Delete
  2. My head started spinning as I read that! It was like they were hired actors meant to drive you mad! MAD AS A HATTER!

    The Tweedledee and Tweedledum pic is perfect.

    So glad you saw reality during the interview!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah - lesson that some things are just not worth it especially when it comes to a job.

      Delete